Monday, November 19, 2012

Stephen's Visit from Qatar: Day 2 Jerash

The next day we took off for Rome.  It was only about a quarter hour away, too.  
 About every 1/8 mile we had every opportunity to buy pomegranates out of a Toyota right on the side off the road.  'Tis the season. 
 And here we are at Rome! Well actually this is Jerash, but from what we have heard from friends who have been to Rome, Jerash has more well preserved ruins.  History of Jerash.  
 The McConnell Boy Band
 The architecture was spectacular.  This is the arena where chariot races probably took place. 

 Speaking of chariot races! 

 And they're off!
 Champions! (Hard to loose against yourself).

 We liked to explore all the nooks and crannies we could find.  
 The ancient theater. 

 Did you know that the Arabs actually invented the bagpipes? If you are really curious to find out more: History of the Bagpipes.  I think they were playing Yankee Doodle in this picture.  
 Kiya: "Stephen, do I look fat?"
Stephen: "uh... no...."
Kiya: "Are you sure? Do I look fat or pregnant, cuz there are only two options."
Stephen: " ha.... .ha.............................."

We had been dropping hints since he got to Amman about me being pregnant.  It took him till the third day to say, "So, I've been getting some subtle hints that Kiya is pregnant?"  Subtle? :)  We love you Stephen. 

 When looking out at this ancient city, I was struck by two things:  One, how much of this city still lies under the ground with just capitals of columns peeking up from the earth, waiting to be discovered, and also how close you are to the modern city of Jerash.  The ruins actually split the city in half.  What a contrast between the two civilizations. 


 The biggest centipede I had ever seen; full of protein.  I wonder if the ancient inhabitants lived off these creepy crawlies.  They were everywhere!


 This column is made of solid granite. 


 The owner of this shop at Jerash wrapped me all up in this scarf and told me I looked just like a Bedouin.  Needless to say, I bought the scarf.  How could I not?  "It keeps you warm when it's cold and cool, when it's warm."  I fell for it.  
Another great view at the end of the day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment