Sunday, February 17, 2013

Michael's Family @ Baptismal Site

The roaring Jordan River, in all it's mud and glory. Mike, Janice, and Granny were all a little surprised at the sight. We all agreed it must have been much different 2,000 years ago.
We were the only English speakers in the small group so we were privileged with a personal tour from Muhammad (actually, I can't remember his name, so this is my best guess).
He was very convinced this is the correct site of Christ's baptism for a few reasons. John 1:28 says that Christ was baptized in Bethabara beyond the Jordan (River.) This location used to be a natural spring. The Jordan River would have been much bigger and flowed much quicker than today so it makes sense for the Christ to be baptized in a spring just off the river. In my opinion, if it wasn't here, it was somewhere similar. And to me, it doesn't matter where it happened, but that it happened. The one perfect person ever to walk this Earth was baptized, by the correct authority, to show us by example what we should do. As a sinner, how much more do I need this covenant in my life? Baptism by the correct Priesthood must be very important to our Heavenly Father.
Map Chp. 17


Matthew 3:13-17 tells us Heavenly Father was well pleased in His Son, and Holy Ghost descended like a dove. According to pilgrims, doves have been nesting in this area for years, even though it is not their natural habitat and are rarely found in surrounding areas... (or someone thought it would be a great touristy feature to add). Either way, they are beautiful birds, and it did paint a picture in my mind of that wondrous day of Jesus's baptism. There were about 5 or so doves nesting on the bell tower.

Unfortunately Mike, Janice, or Granny was not quite as enthusiastic as others. All I could get them to do was put their hands in.

These photos are near the site that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has land to build a building of some kind. I have tried to find more information, but have struggled to uncover anything yet. We saw the land marker with the Church's name, but I'm not sure when the groundbreaking will begin. I'll keep you updated if I find out anything more. What a blessing for the church to be able to have a piece of land in this area. There are 11 different churches built or going to be built here.

No comments:

Post a Comment