Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ramadan Kareem!


Michael and I made it through our first week of Ramadan.  Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, and for the entire month Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset. Then they eat delicious food after sundown.  So apparently Ramadan is taken very seriously in Jordan because they have an Islamic government.  We have been told that if you are caught eating or drinking in public you can be fined, citizen or foriegner, muslim, non-muslim alike.  We carry dates and water in our bags and lock ourselves in a room to quickly eat and drink.  It has been pretty halarious.  Sometimes we will be in a stairwell and sneek a drink of water, then hear someone coming and quickly shove it back in our bag.  Ramadan has been tougher on Michael than it has been on me.  I have had it pretty darn easy.  At noon I go teach the ambassadors wife and she always feeds me, even if I say I don't want anything.  I teach her for 2 hours then at 3:00 I go teach Tameem and Farah ( the 5 and 7 year old kids) After the lesson, which is usually 1.5 hours long, Mais, the mother, invites me to eat.  Her children don't fast and so we have a casual meal and talk for a while.  She is an incredible cook.  Home cooked Jordanian food is amazing.

 Some views from the rooftop of our apartment.


 Sunset during Ramadan... Time to eat!

          Garden view below our apartment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment