Thursday, July 26, 2012

Amman, Jordan

And here it begins!  Too long after it has already begun, but I will recap on things that have happened my first few weeks in Amman.  The first week was difficult.  I began my job 2 days after I got here and it was very  hard.  I have gained a huge appreciation for teachers.  One class I taught were children, 8-9 years old.  They are adorable and I had so much fun with them.  A lot of the time I just had 1 or 2 kids, but at one point I had 8.  After Ramadan began, I was back down to 2 then just 1 the last 2 days.  I am now finished with the teaching center, but there are plenty of teaching jobs available.  After the first week here, I also started teaching 2 kids, Tameem (boy, 5) and Farah (girl, 7). They are so fun.  It is difficult keeping kids occupied and interested in learning English, especially when I feel so inadequate as a teacher, but I have learned so much.  There is no shortage of people who want to learn English in Jordan.  Michael and I, through one of the BYU interns, met a guy named Ahmed who has been so incredibly nice and helpful to us.  He runs his own NGO having something to do with hearing aids and employs deaf people to build and test the hearing aids.  Michael has been tutoring his brother, Wael.  He is very serious about learning English and studies hard.  He is going to a university in Britain in about a month.  Ahmed found me the job teaching the two kids at their house, and also wanted me to teach his aunt, the Jordanian Ambassadors wife.  Two days ago I started teaching the her.  Her name is Shams.  They are very  wealthy, have an incredible house, and like all Jordanians, are extremely hospitable.
 Yara, Suliman, Anas
Found this when I came in the morning.  Thought it was pretty cute.  Here is a translation: Hi, I am come. I'm in the CaFetria.  (the time he got there)  Class starts at 10. 

 
 

 Suliman and Rania

No comments:

Post a Comment